Sunday, July 14, 2013

Chevron Accent Wall

 Chevron Ideas: 

 
My 13yr old daughter Loves Chevron stripes. I have to admit, I do too. Anyway it was time to updated her room from little girl to young lady. From the beginning, she wanted to have a heavy hand in the design process. I can't say I blame her. She knew she wanted an accent wall with chevron stripes on it. I really did not feel like measuring, taping off, and painting all of those stripes. Plus in a few years when she is over it, I worry about the removal process. Yes, I can prime and paint over it however with out lots of sanding you will still be able to see the indention of the pattern through the new paint. So my compromise was to do the pattern in wood. Thankfully she loved this idea. 

I would like to note...
I did the pattern around her chair rail. I did not feel like removing it for something temporary.
Also she has not decided on a color to paint the wood yet. I have suggested a color wash, but she is still thinking it over. If you know how you want to paint your stripes before you start your project, I would suggest painting them before installation.

Materials:
miter saw
fence planks
sander
sandpaper 150 grit
nail gun or hammer and nails

Simple Instructions:
measure your wall and determine how many rows and peaks you can fit on it

cut your wood to your measurements (I did simple 45 degree cuts on both ends. I also made a template of my boards so I did not have to keep measuring )

sand your wood (I used fence planks because they are so cheap. I got mine on sell for $0.99 per board. The wood looks really rough, but with a heavy sanding cleans them boards up nice. It is a fair amount of work, but it does save a lot of money. If you don't mind spending the money, you can buy pre-finished boards at about $10.00 a board)

Paint your wood

Install your pre-painted wood pieces on the wall with finishing nails.

Then sit back and enjoy your accent wall





No comments:

Post a Comment